Wednesday, March 01, 2006

On reading the Hadar e-mails from Jerusalem

Much have I travell'd in Yerushalayim shel Zahav
And many goodly Batei Knesset seen
Round many minyanim, too, have I been,
Which gabbaim in fealty to egalitarianism hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Hadar ruled as its demesne
Yet never did I breathe its pure ob-scene
Till I heard its e-mails speak out from Jerusalem, loud and bold.
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a familiar but suddenly unwanted planet swims into his ken
Or like some bat Kohen, when with eagle eyes
She stared out to bless the Kahal--and all her men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise--
Apartment listings, beit midrash, Darfur rally, Shavuot retreat--
Ahh!!! Can't deal!!!----
Silence!!! Upon a peak in Jerusalem.


(with all due apologies to Keats in this season of parodies...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home