Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Way It Still Is: An Excerpt

The below is taken directly from The Confessions of Noa Weber by Gail Hareven (Translated by Dalya Bilu; Melville House, 2009)

Interviewer: So how did it happen that you went to study law?
Feminist writer: It was a coincidence. With women, you know, things happen by chance. There was a man I wanted to impress.
Interviewer: Did you want him to fall in love with you?
Feminist writer: I knew I didn't have a hope.
Interviewer: But surely he must have been impressed….
Feminist writer: He didn't even know I was studying. You see, he wasn't in the country at all, there was no contact between us. I just imagined that he was looking at me all the time.
Interviewer: And afterwards?
Feminist writer: What afterwards? There is no afterwards. There is no earlier and later in love. When he felt like summoning me, I went to be his mistress. That's the way it still is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous TAH said...

If there is no earlier and later in love, nor in Torah, then does mean Torah is love?

4:16 AM  
Anonymous TAH said...

...then does ^that mean...

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home